• Arctic Cat Parts
  • Can-Am Parts
  • Indian Parts
  • Kawasaki Parts
  • KTM Parts
  • Polaris Parts
  • Sea-Doo Parts
  • Ski-Doo Parts
  • Suzuki Parts
  • Yamaha Parts
  • Outboard Parts

Your Parts Resource for Genuine Kawasaki Motorcycle, Ninja and Jet Ski Parts

269-385-1540

How to Tow ATVs

How to Tow ATVs

An all-terrain vehicle is a fun way to test our riding skills on a range of terrains. When it comes to getting your ATV to the riding area, a good towing plan is a must-have. From the right gear you need to steps for safely getting the job done, here are a few tips on how to tow ATVs so you can get to the ride site with ease.

  1. 1. Get a good trailer

    The biggest thing in how to tow ATVs is to get a good trailer. While you might think any old trailer will do, you should keep a few things in mind. For starters, your ATV is heavy in terms of overall weight so you need a trailer capable of pulling this weight without adding strain to your towing vehicle. You also want a trailer with reliable tires. The tires are important because if you blow a tire while towing, you run the risk of damaging not only your truck and trailer, but also your ATV. You also want to make sure the trailer has turn signals or that you can easily attach them to ensure safety when towing.

  2. 2. Make sure you have a few basics

    While the trailer is the important part, there are a few elements that are essential to a successful tow. For example, the load ramps are imperative to being able to safely load the ATV onto the trailer. Make sure your ramps are strong enough to hold the weight of the ATV. You should also invest in strong straps. If you load the ATV into the trailer without reliable straps, you run the risk of damaging the ATV. There are plenty of options for affordable straps on the market, but you are better off paying a little extra to get some that will last longer while giving a better hold. A good rule of thumb is to opt for a minimum of 2,000-pound rated straps with adjustable ratchets to give you the best in a secure hold and reliable fit.

  3. 3. Load/unload the right way

    Aside from the right trailer or gear, the biggest thing in how to tow ATVs is knowing how to load safely. You should wear a helmet when loading or unloading the ATV just to be safe. Start in low gear and engage four-wheel drive if possible. Don’t open the throttle too much to avoid gaining too much momentum and being short on space. You want to go slow and steady when loading or unloading to avoid any accidents. It is far better to take your time and get through it without any issues to you or your ATV than to get in done in a hurry and run the risk of problems.

  4. 4. Use the 60/40 rule

    The 60/40 rule tells you to place 60 percent of the ATVs weight towards the front of the trailer and closer to the tow vehicle with the remaining 40 percent placed more toward the middle or rear of the trailer. This helps with weight distribution to make it easier to tow and also safer because it reduces the likelihood of a flipped trailer when taking a turn.

  5. 5. Always place straps in the right place

    Straps shouldn’t be placed just anywhere on your ATV once you have it loaded up and in place on the trailer. For instance, you should never attach straps to the suspension or axles since this can cause tension and damage. You should check your owner’s manual on the best place to secure the straps for the specifics of your ATV model.

Best Prices on Kawasaki Motorcycle, ATV, Mule and Jet Ski Parts